The treatment of Erectile Dysfunction is one of the most common diseases that I see in my clinic. Given the confusion over the various oral treatment options, I thought it would be useful to go over some of the most commonly asked questions.
- Is Viagra available in a generic? Yes, Viagra has gone generic but, no, the prices have not come down yet. It turns out that there is only one company allowed to sell generic Viagra (sildenafil) until April 2020 and as such while generic versions of Viagra are now available, the prices are still ridiculously high.
- Which of the medications work fastest? While there is a significant variation in time to effect based on individual patients, Stendra usually has the fastest onset working in as little as 15 minutes!
- Which of the medications lasts the longest? Again, while variation exists patient to patient, Cialis has the longest half life and can last up to 36 hours in some situations.
- What are the common side effects? All of the medications are commonly associated with headaches, flushing and an upset stomach.
- What should I do if I have an erection that lasts for more than 4 hours? Go to the ER immediately. This condition is called priapism and is a medical emergency!
I hope this answers some of the more commonly asked questions about the oral erectile dysfunction medications. If you have more questions or are interested in a prescription, please call my office and I’ll be happy to see you in clinic.